A multi-day storm is lining up to hit Colorado from Saturday night into Tuesday (February 15-18) and it could bring big snow totals to parts of the state.
According to Joel Gratz of OpenSnow, Friday evening into Saturday morning will bring the first round of powder to parts of the mountains, favoring areas north of I-70. Saturday evening and Sunday will see the highest snow totals landing over the northern and central mountains and northern parts of the southern mountains continuing into Monday with periods of intense snowfall expected. The storm is expected to taper off into Tuesday. The National Weather Service has not issued a winter storm warning at time of publication [10:53 MT; 2/14/20].
Much of the northern and central mountains could see 6 to 12 inches of snow falling over the 4-day period, while some mountains could see up to 20+ inches of fresh powder. See OpenSnow’s full report and resort-specific predictions here.
The National Weather Service says rapid temperature changes combined with the precipitation could result in “quick icing of roads called a Flash Freeze.”
Here is your extended forecast. Watching potential for a stronger storm in the mountains Sunday and Monday, and a chance of accumulating snow to lower elevations, including the I-25 urban corridor later Monday into Tuesday. #cowx pic.twitter.com/Tx2UIIwXhJ
— NWS Boulder (@NWSBoulder) February 14, 2020
— NWS Pueblo (@NWSPueblo) February 14, 2020
Here are a few local forecasts from around the state, according to the National Weather Service:
Silverton could see fresh flakes falling from Sunday into Monday, with a slight chance of showers continuing through the rest of the week. Temperatures will be in the 30s, with possible drop-offs into the teens or single digits.
Vail is also expecting to see some snow with the strongest chances for flakes from Sunday to Monday. snow showers could also return sometime on Tuesday.
Crested Butte is shaping up to see snow with an 80-90% chance of snow showers to hit from Sunday to Monday. There will also be a few chances for snow from Tuesday to Thursday.
Breckenridge can expect plenty of fresh powder, with an 80% chance of snow to hit from Sunday to Monday.
Telluride will likely get plenty of fresh snow from Sunday to Tuesday, with showers likely returning again on Thursday.
Denver may see some accumulating flakes with a 20% chance of snow for Sunday and a 60% chance of snow for Monday. There’s also a slight chance for even more powder on Tuesday.
Colorado Springs may also catch a few of the flakes, with a 50-60% chance of snow for Monday and a 30-40% chance of snow for Tuesday.
RELATED: Click for more WEATHER news
The upcoming waves of snow are likely to disrupt travel, especially in the high country. Motorists should be prepared for winter driving conditions as well as active chain and traction laws in place around the state. If traveling, please remember to use caution and watch for slick spots.
Editor’s Note: All weather statements and snow accumulations are subject to change. Check the official Colorado Department of Transportation website for up-to-date information on road conditions and the National Weather Service for updates on incoming storms. For your mountain forecast, we recommend visiting OpenSnow. For daily avalanche conditions, always check with avalanche.state.co.us before heading into the backcountry.
What We Believe
We are driven by our deep respect for our environment, and our passionate commitment to sustainable tourism and conservation. We believe in the right for everyone - from all backgrounds and cultures - to enjoy our natural world, and we believe that we must all do so responsibly. Learn More