Trilby fire

Photo Courtesy: Poudre Fire Authority

Crews from Poudre Fire Authority (PFA) have determined that a small wildfire that sparked in Fort Collins on Saturday was ignited when a squirrel was electrocuted by a power line.

PFA teams responded to reports of a small fire burning near Trilby and Hidden Springs Road at about 9:35 AM on Saturday, according to officials.

The fire was successfully extinguished without growing or spreading further. Investigators later discovered the squirrel's body and determined that the sparks caused by electrocution started the blaze.

"Rest assured our crews made sure to give the squirrel a proper burial before clearing the scene," PFA said in a Facebook post.

Newsletters

Get OutThere

Signup today for free and be the first to get notified on new updates.

(3) comments

shdaingerj

Squirrels can be so full of energy that they just don't understand how they can cause so much damage you know! That's animal nature for you, like a cat full of curiosity and it kills the cat ( squirrel ) Jess

Mtgolfer53

I read this to my dog. She is confirmed in her view of squirrels being agents of Darth Vader.

Sojourner

Ha Ha Ha! Good one.

PS. Your dog is right!!

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.