The Great American Beer Festival awards were announced on September 10, with several Colorado spots getting big nods from the judges. Close to 10,000 beers were evaluated from more than 2,000 breweries scattered around the country, judged in 98 categories.
With 20 breweries from Colorado getting some sort of award, judges made their selections based on how well a beer represented a given category.
Gold-level winners included:
- Blood Orange Kolsch, Crystal Springs Brewing Co., Louisville (American Fruit Beer)
- Humo y Espejos with Fuego!, Cerebral Brewing, Aurora (Chili Beer)
- Vladimir Brutin, Cannonball Creek Brewing Company, Golden (Experimental India Pale Ale)
- BJ’s Barrel Aged Got Beer, BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse, Boulder (Wood and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer)
- Domestica, Ratio Beerworks, Denver (Golden or Blonde Ale)
- Inner Light, Our Mutual Friend Brewing, Denver (Australian Pale Ale)
- Stick’s Pale Ale, Bootstrap Brewing, Longmont (American-Style Pale Ale)
Silver medal winners included:
- Wild Raspberry Ale, Great Divide Brewing Co., Denver (American Fruit Beer)
- Blood Orange Wheat, Peak View Brewing Co., Greenwood Village (Fruit Wheat Beer)
- Prescribed Burn, Steamworks Brewing Co., Durango (Chili Beer)
- Silverbrick Norwegian Farmhouse, Strange Craft Beer Company, Denver (Historical Beer)
- Biere Ovale, Our Mutual Friend Brewing, Denver (Mixed Culture Brett Beer)
- Stampede, Avery Brewing Company, Boulder (American-Style Lager)
- True Blonde Ale, Ska Brewing Company, Durango (English Ale)
- Stay the Funk In, Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project, Denver (Belgian-Style Sour Ale)
And bronze medal winners included:
- Lone Tree Peach Ale, Lone Tree Brewing Co., Lone Tree (American Fruit Beer)
- Skins, Amalgam Brewing, Denver (Experimental Beer)
- Snowdrop, Grimm Brothers Brewing, Loveland (Historical Beer)
- Big Henry Hazy IPA, Holidaily Brewing Company, Golden (Gluten-Free Beer)
- Face Down Brown, Telluride Brewing Co., Telluride (American-Style Brown Ale)
- Treachery, 12Degree Brewing, Louisville (Belgian-Style Strong Specialty Ale)
Congrats to all winners! A single brewery won two awards – Our Mutual Friend in Denver.
Think another beer deserved a medal? Let us know in the comments below.
STAY INFORMED: Sign-up for the daily OutThere Colorado newsletter here