Ski season is (nearly) here in Colorado, and for snowsports enthusiasts, that means it’s time to think about your gear. And it’s no secret that winter gear is expensive—snow-riding equipment and cold-weather clothing can run up a huge price tag. Luckily, we’ve put together some expert advice on how and where to find deals and discounts on the ski and snowboard gear that will help you have an awesome time on the hill this winter season.
1. Do a gear inventory
Think about what worked for you last season and what didn’t. Trouble seeing in the snow? Maybe it’s time for new goggles. Cold fingers? New gloves. Skis not quite wide enough to keep up with deep powder? And go for the gear that will keep you warm on the coldest days in January. After all, all you really need for spring skiing is a worn pair of jeans.
2. Gear swaps
Resort towns are full of skiers and snowboarders who tend to go through gear pretty quickly. You can often find them pawning last year’s skis at one of the many ski swaps around Colorado. Local retailers often use these swaps to get rid of last year’s models at deep discounts too. Also, the profits from these swaps often benefit local ski kids’ teams.
- Vail Ski Swap, Dobson Ice Arena, Oct. 20 5pm-10pm, Oct. 21 9am-5pm, Oct. 22 9am-2pm
- Aspen Ski Swap, Aspen Middle School, Oct. 21, , 9:30am-1pm
- Colorado Ski and Snowboard Expo, Colorado Convention Center, Denver, Nov. 10 12pm-10pm, Nov. 11 10am-8pm, Nov. 12 10am-6pm
- San Juan Nordic Club Ski Swap, Dec. 2, Alamosa
3. Other affordable options
If you didn’t find what you wanted or couldn’t make it to a swap, there are still other options for affordable gear. There are used gear stores around Colorado, where people sell their gear on consignment as well as last year’s models.
- Gearonimo, 1401 South 8th St., Colorado Springs
- Mountain Equipment Recyclers, 1024 South Tejon St., Colorado Springs
- Sports Plus, 1055 S Gaylord St., Denver
- Outabounds Ski and Board, 6770 S. Dawson Circle, Suite 500, Centennial
- Wilderness Exchange, 2401 15th Street, #100, Denver
If all else fails, many ski and outdoors gear shops will sell last year’s rentals and unsold skis at a deep discount in the fall, so visit your favorite store to see what they have.
What We Believe
We are driven by our deep respect for our environment, and our passionate commitment to sustainable tourism and conservation. We believe in the right for everyone - from all backgrounds and cultures - to enjoy our natural world, and we believe that we must all do so responsibly. Learn More