Everything Water: Kayak, Canoe, and Paddle Your Way to an Awesome Summer in Colorado
Sandstone cliff and lake at dusk - Horsetooth Reservoir near Fort Collins, Colorado, at springtime. Photo Credit: Marekuliasz (iStock).
Interested in everything water this very HOT summer? Northern Colorado’s local and family-owned JAX Mercantile Co. is here to help you get out and on the water. Whether that means kayaking, canoeing, or even paddle boarding, JAX has your gear for all of your water adventures!
Kayaking is for everyone! Whether you’re a beginning recreational kayaker who wants to jet around the lake or a seasoned kayaker who wants to rip through some whitewater.
Kayaking is unique because it gives you your own personal boat for the day! There are many different kinds of kayaks tailored to your desired water adventure. Whether it’s plastic or composite, sit on top, or sit inside, JAX experts can help you find the kayak that’s right for you.
To learn more about types of kayaks, kayaking essentials, and to get some basic how to tips, visit our blog: Kayaking Fun for Everyone.
- Offers outstanding stability for beginner to intermediate users.
- Sit -inside style for colder waters and protection from the elements.
- Kayak comfortable with a six-way adjustable seat and padded adjustable leg support.
- Easy-to-paddle design to maneuver through the water smoothly.
- Lightweight, making it easy to transport to and from water—it weighs only 39 lbs.
Similar to a kayak, canoes also offer some exciting days on the water. If you’re looking for a boat to share with friends and family as you tread water, canoeing is your go-to activity.
Canoes a perfect fit for those relaxing rides around the lake or calm rivers. However, some extreme sports enthusiasts have been known to run through whitewater in a canoe.
Most canoes come with seats for two or more people to sit higher up above the water than a kayak. This makes canoes easy to get in and out of when you decide to hop out for a swim!
- Features two bench seats and a third center seat that doubles as a cooler.
- Includes the option to mount a motor to the square stern—the rear of the canoe.
- Versatile and made with durable materials that last for years of use.
- Fits two people comfortably with adjustable seat backs.
- Features a 6” waterproof hatch, storage trays, and paddle rests.
- Perfect for casual canoeists looking for a recreational canoe that performs well on the water.
Paddle boarding is an easy-to-learn activity that lets you have a blast on the water! You can paddle solo or even bring your dog along!
Standup paddle boards (SUPs) come in numerous forms for the custom-fit you need. They are available as hard fiberglass boards or inflatable boards and can be short and wide or long and narrow.
Depending on the use and level of confidence you might have on a board, this can determine the shape and size you’ll need. A JAX specialist can get you set up with the right board. You could even or give it a test run with JAX rentals!
To learn more about some basic paddling techniques, SUP options, and gear, visit our blog: Paddle Boarding Basics.
- Ultra-comfortable honeycomb deck pad.
- Inflatable board with a pump that allows for easy transportation.
- Performs well in flat water, great for Instagram-worthy yoga and exploring!
- Designed for stability and smooth gliding for a mellow cruising and paddling experience.
- Perfect for all users, from entry level to advanced paddlers.
- Soft diamond groove pad for comfort and traction.
Now that you’ve got some ideas on how you can enjoy the outdoors through watersports this summer, stop by your local JAX to grab the gear you need! Don’t forget to upload some of your photos and tag us @jaxoutdoorgear.
Voted Fort Collins’ Best Outdoor Gear Store, JAX Mercantile is a family-owned business that provides quality gear for camping, hunting, fishing, boating, and more. Visit your local Colorado store in Fort Collins, Loveland, Lafayette, and Broomfield or our store in Ames, Iowa to meet our experts and find the best gear for your summer adventures. Learn more about us at Jaxmercantile.com.