According to a press release from the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office, a young boy scout was rescued after going into anaphylactic shock on a backpacking trip near the Beaver Reservoir area at 10:15 a.m. on Thursday, July 4, 2019.

The young boy scout suffered anaphylactic shock after eating sunflower seeds and was treated by staff members, who quickly administered an EpiPen within just three minutes.

Two boy scouts met with rescuers and led them to the patient, where the initial incident occurred at 9:32 a.m in the area of Forest Service Road 707E and the Sour Dough Trail.

Medics stabilized the boy with additional medications before rescuers safely carried him one mile down the trail to an ambulance, where he was transported to a nearby hospital for further treatment. The entire rescue took approximately four hours.

The Boulder County Sheriff’s Office, Indian Peaks Protection District, American Medical Response (AMR), and the Rocky Mountain Rescue Group all assisted in the rescue.

Allergies to food, plants, insects, and medication can all lead to anaphylactic shock, a severe and life-threatening allergic reaction. Symptoms of anaphylactic shock include difficulty breathing, swelling of the throat and tongue, reduced blood pressure, fainting, and vomiting. When you head out for a hike, always take extra precaution by carrying Benadryl in your day pack and if prescribed, an EpiPen. Even if you have no known allergies, you may encounter something new or encounter someone else in need of assistance.

Leave a Reply

What We Believe

We are driven by our deep respect for our environment, and our passionate commitment to sustainable tourism and conservation. We believe in the right for everyone - from all backgrounds and cultures - to enjoy our natural world, and we believe that we must all do so responsibly. Learn More