Filmmakers have sought out the unique landscape of the Centennial State over the years for projects like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Dumb and Dumber, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Though the cameras and sets are long gone, you can still visit the locations where these iconic movies were made.
1. The Hateful Eight (2015) – Telluride
Quentin Tarantino and the cast and crew of The Hateful Eight arrived in Telluride in the fall of 2014 to build the set and prepare to film Tarantino’s latest Western epic. News from the set filtered in throughout the season as movie stars drifted in and out of town. Telluride is one of Colorado’s most beautiful places to visit in any season.
2. Furious 7 (2015) – Woodland Park, Pikes Peak
Check out OutThere Colorado’s 360 virtual reality footage of a race up Pikes Peak at insane speeds!
3. Bud Light (2014) – Whatever, USA (Crested Butte)
4. Identity Thief (2013) – Denver
5. The Lone Ranger (2013) – Creede
6. Blades of Glory (2007) – Denver – Pepsi Center
7. The Prestige (2006) – Telluride, Durango, Silverton Railway Line
Nikola Tesla did in fact live and work in Colorado Springs. Though the film’s actual locations were in Telluride and Silverton, CO in the San Juans, there are still some views at the top of Cloudcamp in CO Springs that have some epic scenery.
8. Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) – Glenwood Canyon
Hilarious. Glenwood Canyon was going to see some SUV explosions, helicopter action, and rocket launchers, but a decision was made to move one of Mr. and Mrs. Smith’s epic scenes to a desert instead. In the final edit, the canyon only gets a few seconds of face-time when Angelina Jolie climbed up a wall in “Hollywood” style. I think we as Coloradans should require a technical advisor before a shot like this represents us. Climbers, comment away on why gear shouldn’t be placed in between your belay partner.
9. Independence Day (1996) – Colorado Springs, Peterson Air Force Base
10. Dumb and Dumber (1994) – A little place called Aspen (also Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Estes Park)
11. Wyatt Earp (1994) – Antonito, CO
12. In the Line of Fire (1993) – Denver, Civic Center Park
13.Cliffhanger (1993) – Durango, CO
14. City Slickers (1991) – Durango, CO
15. Die Hard 2 (1990) – Breckenridge, Mead, Denver, Stapleton Airport
16. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) – Alamosa, Cortez, Pagosa Springs, Cumbres & Toltec Railroad (Antonito)
17. Christmas Vacation (1989) – Breckenridge/Frisco – Summit County High School and Walmart
18. Mork & Mindy (1978-1982) – Boulder
20. True Grit (1969) – Cañon City, Castle Rock, Gunnison, Montrose, Ouray, Ridgway
21. Around the world in Eighty Days (1956) – Durango, Silverton
What We Believe
We are driven by our deep respect for our environment, and our passionate commitment to sustainable tourism and conservation. We believe in the right for everyone - from all backgrounds and cultures - to enjoy our natural world, and we believe that we must all do so responsibly. Learn More